Thursday, March 20, 2014

To Heaven in a Kimono



On an indigo dying trip, Keiko and I visited an exhibition on the factory grounds showcasing some master work on kimonos as well as other textiles. Everything was absolutely gorgeous, the fine hand, the vision, and the meticulous approach to seeing design come to fruition.

We were admiring a particularly beautiful kimono when one of the handlers asked if I'd like to try it on. I answered with an incredulous YES PLEASE. So, although they didn't give me the full monty, I got to wear it with a couple accoutrements just for fun. (Obi's are rarely folded in such a casual way, but this was nice and quick for the effect. Getting dressed in full kimono takes 45-60 mins!)

I'm a little tall so the folds weren't right and the length is just that much too short but who cares!?!?! Look at this magnificent piece of art! I was too nervous to wear it for long but it was such a wondrous experience, to be properly dressed with attention and care, that I got emotional and had to shed a few tears.

Behold...










No comments:

Post a Comment